FIX OUR DEMOCRACY through the POWER of OUR VOTES!
Democracy supposedly belongs to the people. But it has never really worked for most of us.
- It should fulfill Lincoln’s definition: ‘Government of the people, by the people, for the people.’
Our reality: ‘Government over the people, by political powerbrokers, for their corporate sponsors, for their wealthy patrons, and for their own political or personal interests.’
- Changing parties or leaders isn’t a solution—because the political actors aren’t the main problem.
- The real problem is our so-called democratic system—it gives too much power to the parties & leaders (especially the PM) — and too little power to the voters & their elected representatives.
- Top-down centralized power is undemocratic—and must be reversed to Fix Our Democracy.
- We the people must Fix Our Democracy—to fulfill the unfulfilled promise of a true democracy!
Fix Our Democracy is a non-partisan citizens’ initiative calling on all Canadians—voters, candidates & parties—to make their pledge to Fix Our Democracy (as outlined in ‘How to Fix Our Democracy’)!
- By strategically using the power of our votes, we can elect a majority of MPs pledged to enact the democratic reforms required to Fix Our Democracy—by changing the balance of power—to give more power to voters & their elected representatives, and less power to the parties & the PM.
The power of our vote—the true source of all democratic power—also gives us the power to not give our vote to any candidate or party that’s unwilling to publicly pledge to Fix Our Democracy.
CALLING on all VOTERS, CANDIDATES & PARTIES to PLEDGE to FIX OUR DEMOCRACY!
- I hereby pledge to give my vote only to a candidate who has publicly pledged to work across party lines to enact the democratic reforms that are essential to Fix Our Democracy.
- If there’s no candidate pledged to Fix Our Democracy, I’ll mark my ballot: ‘None Of The Above’.
- I hereby pledge that, if elected, I will faithfully represent the interests of my constituents (before those of my party), and I’ll work across party lines to fulfill my pledge to Fix Our Democracy.
Party Leader's pledge:
- I hereby pledge myself and my party to Fix Our Democracy.
- If I become PM, I will work across party lines to Fix Our Democracy as our top priority.
- With a minority government, we would only support those pledged to Fix Our Democracy.